FBAR – U.S. Trustee Foreign Non-Grantor Trust

A U.S. trustee of a foreign non-grantor trust must file Form TD F 90-22.1 if the Trustee has a financial interest in or signature authority or other authority over any financial accounts, including bank, securities, or other types of financial accounts in a foreign country if the value of such accounts exceeds $10,000. A person has a financial interest in any such account if she has legal title to it.

Trustees generally have legal title to accounts in which trust funds are invested. In addition, if legal title to an account is held by a corporation or partnership and the trustee owns more than 50% of the corporation or partnership, the trustee will be treated as having a financial interest in such account.

A person has signature authority over an account if she can control the disposition of account property by the delivery of a document signed by her and one or more other persons. A person has other authority over an account if she can control such disposition by direct communication to the person with whom the account is maintained.

Form TD F 90-22.1 must be filed by June 30th of the year following the year in which the U.S. person had such financial interest or signature or other authority.


Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.